Ralph Manning was a businessman ahead of his times. Soon after he had opened his auto supplies store at 500 Main Street (complete with "Tydol" gasoline pumps on the sidewalk) in the mid-1920s, he capitalized on the latest rage--radio broadcasting--by adding Atwater-Kent cabinet radios for sale next to his line of auto batteries and tires. In 1939, again thinking more of the living room than the garage, Manning stocked for sale the first television set in Beacon.
The date was August 31, 1939, and the television was a top-of-th... Continue reading
The first major undertaking in Beacon's Urban Renewal program was the Forrestal Heights Housing Project. In 1966, between South Avenue and Dinan Street, a handful of handsome old homes on Wolcott Avenue were seized and razed, among them a dilapidated, bulging, made-over apartment house once known as "Cedar Lawn."
Cedar Lawn had belonged to one of New York's most famous physicians of the nineteenth century . He was Dr. Egbert Guernsey: journalist, philanthropist, founder of two hospitals, and New York's most noted doctor of ho... Continue reading
With the help of a high resolution scan and spot closeups, we were able to piece together clues of when, where, what and who (we think) is in this old photograph that the Beacon Historical Society recently received.
Referring to the numbered arrows pointing to objects in the photo, we find:
Arrow 1. A calendar hanging on the wall with the name "John M. MacFarlane, Chemist and Apothecary" printed below the calendar's picture. The date of the year is muddied, but we can read that the month is November, and the 1st falls on... Continue reading
One of the most picturesque historic spots in the Mid-Hudson Valley is the Fort Montgomery State Historic Site, located off of Route 9W just across the Bear Mountain Bridge. Fort Montgomery has easy hiking trails, excavation sites with restored stone walls of the fort's ruins, and a visitor's center where you can learn more about the American Revolution and the Battle of Fort Montgomery where the Americans were defeated by the British on this site on October 6, 1777.
Among the Revolutionary War artifacts displayed in the visitor's... Continue reading
[Editor's Note:] BHS member Joan Palmatier Hamory of Florida has written a memoir about her childhood growing up on the riverfront in Beacon during the Depression. Joan's "Growing Up on Long Dock" is the true story of what life was like to be the daughter of a ferryboat man, and of living with her parents at the river's edge in company houses on Long Dock. Joan's father, "Big Jim" Palmatier, worked on the Newburgh-Beacon Ferry for 44 years--at first as a deckhand and in later years as a wheelman. The following excerpt is from Joan's memories... Continue reading
The blast knocked children readying for school off their feet. Windows were blown out. Chimneys toppled from roofs. Dishes jumped off shelves and shattered on kitchen floors. Peaches dropped from their trees all in one fell swoop ... and that morning it sounded like the world had exploded like a bomb. The date was September 17, 1924, and the Joseph Chiarella Fireworks Company had suddenly and accidentally blown up. Almost the entire east end of Beacon had been damaged to some degree by the shock waves of the blast. Even across the Hudson the... Continue reading
The Naval Water Ceremony--where our city honors Beacon servicemen who have perished at sea--has been a traditional part of Memorial Day services every year dating back to at least the 1920s. On Memorial Days past, crowds of veterans and parade goers would stop at one of Beacon's bridges over the Fishkill Creek (either the East Main Street Bridge or the Wolcott Avenue Bridge), and a prayer would be said and a wreath of flowers tossed into the creek in remembrance of those who served in the Navy and those who lost their lives for our country o... Continue reading
This year marks the 100th anniversary (1917-2017) of women's suffrage in New York State. One of the early leaders in the women's rights movement was Susan B. Anthony. A fateful confrontation with one of Beacon's most famous residents during a teachers' convention in 1853 was the catalyst that gave her the boost in confidence she needed thereafter to speak out on women's rights issues.
In an 1896 interview, Susan B. Anthony recollected that the other player in this verbal clash of the sexes at the convention was Professor Charles Da... Continue reading
It was said that Jack Williams had such strong fingers he could "squeeze a raw potato into pulp" with one hand. The former trapeze artist turned this prowess into a one-man daredevil act of climbing buildings--like the Woolworth Building in New York--in cities across America using only his finger tips and toes to scale man-made heights that awed crowds in the early 1920s.
Dubbed the "Human Fly" for his fearless act, Williams also had a patriotic touch to his performances that added to his appeal: during World War I he would donate... Continue reading
We recently learned of the death--at the age of 97--of longtime Beacon Historical Society member Fred Talbot of Syracuse. Fred grew up in Beacon and wrote down for us a family memoir about his father Harry Talbot. Harry was born in Fishkill-on-Hudson in 1884, and for many years owned and operated a saloon/plumbing establishment at 123 Main Street in Beacon. Harry lived to be almost 106 years old. The following is Fred's recollection of life with his father during Prohibition ...
"Now, my father's saloon had been a legal enterprise... Continue reading
--Wear your straw hat at the wrong time of the year and a man took the risk of having his "Panama" knocked off his head and the hat stomped on!
...Such was the quirky custom about the country during the 1920s regarding the strict rule of just when a man could don his straw hat. The official opening date of straw hat season was May 15th, and it extended through the summer to September 15th [the season had been "Decoration" (Memorial) Day to Labor Day, but in 1923 the hat manufacturing association had the season elongated by two week... Continue reading
"Good reason to buy a new refrigerator," was the adline for a Central Hudson advertisement featuring a Beacon family, Mrs. Ralph Morse and her three children .... Mother Betty Morse had her hands full with one-year-old twins Billy and Betty, and two-year old Priscilla when the Central Hudson photographer arrived at her apartment on Davis Street to shoot the scene in February of 1938. It was all part of an campaign to promote Central Hudson's "Meter-Ice Plan" of the 1930s, whereby the electric customer could replace his old ice box with... Continue reading
This was a once in a lifetime golden opportunity for grieving survivors of sons lost in the Great War ... Gold Star Mother Mrs. Thomas Garrison of 26 Hudson Avenue in Beacon had never been able to visit the grave of her son, Fred Garrison, until a legislative act by the federal government. Private Garrison had been killed in action in the battle of Argonne Forest on September 29, 1918, and lay buried in a military cemetery in France. While most of our honored war dead had been removed from their temporary graves in Europe after the war to be... Continue reading
The origin of Beacon's street names sometimes leads the researcher down dusty, long forgotten paths of local history. Take, for example, Beacon's Dead Mayors Streets ...
In March of 1941, the Beacon city council met to remedy the problem of several streets in Beacon with confusing or duplicating names. These street names dated back before 1913--a time when our yet-to-be-born city was comprised of the villages of Matteawan and Fishkill Landing. In 1941, there still were streets with left over names from that bygone era that now need... Continue reading
Phebe Van Vlack Doughty (1873-1967), born and raised in Matteawan (now Beacon), became the first female physician in southern Dutchess County when she earned her medical degree from the University of Michigan in 1904. Though medicine ran through the Doughty family's blood, being a doctor was not Miss Doughty's first choice of a career ...
Major John Henry Doughty, Phebe's father, had been a surgeon during the Civil War. After the war young Dr. Doughty and his new bride Elizabeth, chose the village of Matteaw... Continue reading
The study of history need not be earthbound or all about matters of gravity ... our past is full of flighty characters and celestial happenings that have given our ancestors cause to look to the heavens. Beaconites have craned their necks skyward to witness some of the flying, falling and fascinating objects once seen in our skies ...
* One aerial amusement that once entertained our early citizens was when the acrobat came to town. On June 23, 1877, according to the Fishkill Standard newspaper, the acrobat walked across the "Five C... Continue reading
Weldon Weston, along with his brother Wilbur, ran a stage line in Fishkill Landing-Matteawan (now Beacon) from the 1870s until the electric streetcars came to the twin villages in 1892. The brothers, originally from New Hampshire, later became the prime movers and investors in what was to be Beacon's greatest enterprise--the Mount Beacon Incline Railway. In February of 1920, after a particularly bad snowstorm in which Beacon streets were nearly impassable, Weston wrote the following recollection for the Beacon Daily Herald newspaper... Continue reading
"The air was filled with them; their undulation was like the long waves of the ocean in a calm, and the fluttering of their wings made a noise like the crackling of fire among dry leaves."
... So wrote Philip Hone in his dIary entry for November 4, 1835, after viewing a sight no one shall ever see again--the massive flights of wild passenger pigeons that once darkened the skies over Beacon. Hone, a one-term mayor of New York City (1826), and an investor/director of the old Matteawan Company (located about wher... Continue reading
Ages ago as a student in Beacon High School, I had to read the poem "Thanatopsis" by poet William Cullen Bryant. How much more palatable that homework assignment would have been for my English class had we known that Bryant, a recognized giant in nineteenth-century American literature, once walked the streets of Beacon and even had written one of his poems here in Fishkill Landing!
Bryant (1794-1878) was a frequent sojourner in our community, spending several summers in a boarding house here while visiting his wealthy friends... Continue reading
When you think about old sanitariums once in Beacon, Craig House Hospital (1915-2000) comes first to mind. But one local sanitarium for nervous disorders, addictions and mental illness dates back even further, to 1870--the Riverview Sanitarium of Fishkill on Hudson. The sanitarium was located on Ferry Street (the building and the street both long gone, victims of Urban Renewal), and over the years had several doctor-owners, all specializing in psychiatry. One such doctor, William Scollay Whitwell, brought to the sanitarium perhaps the... Continue reading
Title of your posts.
By Author's Name
January 1, 2030
Category: Category Name
This is where the post content will show up. The font color, font size, line-height, and other styles related to the font, as well as stroke, corner radius and backgroung color / image can be styled. Simply use the text / color / stroke panel to style any of these elements! You can also change the spacing by clicking on the top right arrow near this field. Again this is a sample text and will be replaced with the content of each post.
Tags: Tag Link