PROPERTY OF BEACON HISTORICAL SOCIETY
WOKO Radio antenna and Mount Beacon cottage colony, 1928.
. Dutchess Ski Area, showing chair lifts and Snowflake Lounge, 1968.
Mount Beacon Firetower, 1940s.
Entryway to Mount Beacon and the Incline Railway, c. 1950s.
Workers from the Mohawk Construction Company construct Mount Beacon Incline railway, fall of 1901.
5 - 5
Dutchess Hat Works: Founded by Lewis Tompkins at the foot of Main Street in 1872, Dutchess Hat became our largest most productive hat manufactory in our city's history.
Matteawan Mill, c. 1860s. Originally a cotton goods mill, the Matteawan Mill was Beacon's first factory, founded by Peter Schenck in 1814.
Jackson Carriage Factory, c. 1880. William Jackson began making carriages and sleighs in his factory in the 1860s, and his son continued the business until the rise of the automobile.
Lithograph of Matteawan Village, 1832. Matteawan became a manufacturing center, growing around its cotton mill, flour mill and machine shops.
Matteawan Manufacturing Company, 1914. an offshoot of the Matteawan Company, this factory was our community's first hat manufacturer, and later was known as the Mase Hat Shop.
4 - 5
Long Dock - Aerial View
Construction of Beacon Newburgh Bridge
4 - 5